Last Date: 24 Feb,2019
Inter University Accelerator Centre (IUAC)
Inter University Accelerator Centre (IUAC) is inviting eligible candidates to apply for 12 contractual posts of Scientist/Engineer.Interested Eligible Candidates may send their applications as per prescribed format to concerned E-mail address by 24-02-2019 . All the relevant documents must be sent alongwith application form, as proof of suitability for the posts. Email subject must be formed properly, containing name of post applied for.
Name of the post – Scientist And Engineer
No of post – 12
Pay Scale – Rs 131100 – 216600,Rs 123100 – 215900,Rs 78800 – 209200,Rs 67700 – 208700,Rs 56100 – 177500
Master degree in Physics /Earth Sciences/ Chemistry/ Geo Physics/ Geology/ Applied Geology/ Marine Science or equivalent with first class OR Bachelors degree in Engineering or Technology in Electronics and Communications/Instrumentation with first class and 16 yrs experience.
General Conditions:upsc notifications
- Above posts carry the allowances such as DA, HRA, Transport Allowance.
- The above positions are purely temporary and the engagement under the project does not confer any right/claim whatsoever, either explicitly or implicitly on the appointee, for regular appointment in IUAC, against any post or otherwise under any legal conditions or precedent.
- Application should be submitted online in the prescribed format
- Applications that are not submitted in the prescribed format will not be considered.
- The candidate’s age should not exceed the age limit mentioned above as on date of closure of application. Experience will be counted from the date of acquiring the essential academic qualifications.
- The experience, relevant to the requirement of job or research or teaching will only be considered towards the total period of experience.
- Doctorate degree in the relevant field will count as 3 years of experience.
- IUAC reserves the right to cancel the recruitment without assigning any reason.
- The prescribed essential qualifications are minimum and the mere possession of the same does not entitle candidates to be called for interview. If the number of applications received in response to advertisement in large, it shall not be convenient/possible for the Centre to interview all the candidates. IUAC reserves the right to restrict the number of candidates to be called for interview to a reasonable limit on the basis of desirable qualifications and/or experience. No correspondence shall be entertained with candidates who are not called for interview/selected for appointment. Canvassing in any form will result in disqualification of candidates.
- No TA will not be admissible for attending interview as the case may be.
- Candidates will have to produce the original certificates as and when required.
- Applications received after the closing date or received incomplete in any respect are liable to be summarily rejected. No representation against such rejection shall be entertained.
- The candidates presently working in Central Govt./State Govt./ PSUs/Autonomous Bodies/University etc. are required to provide No Objection/cadre clearance from current employer at the time of interview. The current employer will also certify their Vigilance Clearance and Integrity.
- The prescribed essential qualifications are minimum requirements and the mere possession of the same does not entitle candidates to be called for interview. If the numbers of applications, received in response to advertisement are large, it will not be convenient or possible to call all candidates for interview. Hence, IUAC may restrict the number of candidates to be called for interview before Selection Board to the reasonable limit through screening process.
- The criteria for screening of the applications will be based on candidates qualifying credentials against:
- The essential requirements specified above, date of birth,
- completeness of the application in terms of providing accurate details and submission of the passport size photograph, and copies of the marks list, academic and experience certificates,signature, desirable qualification and experience as specified above.
- consistent academic performance at one or more levels etc. The candidates experience certificates should clearly specify whether they possess the experience / knowledge / skills requested in the essential / desirable experience requirements against the post. The benchmark for screening the applications will be set by a committee constituted to screen the applications. The final selection of the Screened in candidate will be based on the candidate’s performance before the Selection Board. No correspondence will be entertained with candidates who are not called for interview/selected for appointment.
- The basic objective of Inter-University Accelerator Centre (IUAC) is to provide front ranking accelerator based research facilities to create possibilities for internationally competitive research within the university system. The Centre has been playing a very special role of a research institute within the University system where the scientific and technical staff have dual responsibilities of facilitating research for a large user community as well conducting their own research. Emphasis is put on encouraging group activities and sharing of the facilities at the Centre in synergy with those existing elsewhere. The Centre has established sophisticated accelerator systems and experimental facilities in project mode involving several universities for internationally competitive research in the areas of Nuclear Physics, Materials Science, Atomic Physics, Radiation Biology, Radiation Physics and Accelerator Mass Spectrometry.
- Research Centres in universities were emphasised in the national policy on education in the late sixties. In recognition of the long felt needs projected by the university community, the concept of the Inter University Centres (IUC) was accepted by the ministry in 1984. Inter-University Accelerator Centre, the first in the families of IUCs, came up in 1984. Two more facilities, IUC for Astronomy and Astrophysics and IUC for DAE Facilities have come up subsequently.
- The beginning of the Centre was marked by the joining of the Director Prof. A.P. Patro and the Joint Director Prof. G.K. Mehta in December, 1984. It was decided to purchase a Pelletron accelerator from National Electrostatic Corporation (NEC) with the capability of going up to 15 Million Volts using accelerator tubes of standard geometry. Later, after the installation had commenced, it was decided to change over to the compressed geometry tubes for achieving higher terminal potential.
- Construction of the building started in 1986 and was completed in 1989. The commissioning of the Pelletron Accelerator started in August, 1989 and was completed by Dec, 1990. In parallel to installation of the accelerator, the responsibilities for setting up on-line facilities in the beam hall were also taken up. Group discussions were held periodically amongst the core working groups in different fields to decide on focussed areas of research and required facilities. An workshop, to converge on major research programs to be pursued, was organized in Delhi university during Oct, 1987.
- On Dec 19, 1988, a small ceremony was held in which Prof. Agwani, Vice Chancellor, JNU, formally handed over IUAC to Prof. Yash Pal, Chairman, UGC. The anniversary of this occasion is celebrated every year around December 19 as our Foundation Day Program.
- The main building at Inter-University Accelerator Centre houses the Pelletron Tower, Beam Hall and the Laboratory complex. The 50 meter tall tower is made of heavy concrete for radiation shielding. The accelerator tank of 26.5 m height and 5.5 m diameter is filled with SF6 gas at a pressure of ~ 6-7 atmosphere. The SNICS (Source of Negative Ion by Cesium Sputtering) ion source acts as a source of negative ions that are momentum analyzed by the Injector magnet. For pulsed beam experiments, a drift tube buncher, operating at 4 MHz bunching frequency, was installed by NEC. This has subsequently been replaced by a single gap multi-harmonic buncher, operating at the fundamental frequency of 12 MHz, which was developed in collaboration with the Argonne National lab, USA. The new buncher provides a substantial improvement of bunching efficiency (> 60%) as compared to the old buncher (efficiency ~ 15%). This brings the bunching width to about 1 -2 ns. A second stage buncher, to get ultra-short bunching widths having duration ~ 140 ps, is getting implemented through the use of a superconducting resonating cavity. A Travelling Wave Deflector tube is used to increase the spacing between the bunches, if required by the experiment, by removing the unwanted bunches.
click above to download
the employment notification
click above to apply
now online or download form