Cochin Shipyard was incorporated in the year 1972 as a fully owned Government of India company. In the last three decades the company has emerged as a forerunner in the Indian Shipbuilding & Shiprepair industry. This yard can build and repair the largest vessels in India. It can build ships upto 1,10,000 DWT and repair ships upto 1,25,000 DWT. The yard has delivered two of India’s largest double hull Aframax tankers each of 95,000 DWT . CSL has secured shipbuilding orders from internationally renowned companies from Europe & Middle East and is nominated to build the country’s first indigenous Air Defense Ship.
Shipyard commenced ship repair operations in the year 1982 and has undertaken repairs of all types of ships including upgradation of ships of oil exploration industry as well as periodical lay up repairs and life extension of ships of Navy, UTL, Coast Guard, Fisheries and Port Trust besides merchant ships of SCI & ONGC. The yard has, over the years, developed adequate capabilities to handle complex and sophisticated repair jobs.
The Shipyard also trains graduate engineers to marine engineers who later join ships both Indian and foreign as 5th Engineers. 100 are trained every year.
- Cochin Shipyard was conceived of in the year 1969 when a team surveyed various locations in India before selecting Cochin for the launch of the first Greenfield Shipbuilding Yard in the country.
- The yard facilities in the first phase were completed by 1982. The yard was designed and constructed under technical collaboration with M/s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (M.H.I), Japan. The company was legally incorporated in the year 1972.
- The yard commenced the shipbuilding operations in 1978, shiprepair in 1981, Marine Engineering Training in 1993 and Offshore Upgradation in 1999.
- Cochin Shipyard’s recent success in securing export orders have been achieved through consistent improvement in productivity and also aggressive marketing undertaken in the last few years .
- The yard could reduce the average time of construction of large ships in the last decade through augmentation of facilities, upgradation of ship design department with installation of Tribon and CAD/CAM software and adoption of Integrated Hull Outfitting and Painting system (IHOP) system of construction.
- The shipyard commenced ship repair operations in the year 1982 and has undertaken repairs of all types of vessels including upgradation of ships of oil exploration industry as well as periodical lay up repairs and life extension of ships of Navy, UTL, Coast Guard, Fisheries and Port Trust besides merchant fleet. The yard has, over the years, developed adequate capabilities to handle complex and sophisticated repair jobs.
- CSL has established tie-ups with select specialist firms from near-east, far-east, South-east, Europe and USA for technology transfer & material packages for shipbuilding, ship-repair, platforms, rigs & up-gradation of yard facilities.
- Only Shipyard in India which can build upto 1,10,000 DWT
- Has built various types of vessels including Tankers, Bulk Carriers, Port Crafts, Passenger Vessels etc
- Reputed international clientele
- Currently building Platform Supply Vessels for exports and Aircraft Carrier for the Indian Navy
- Only Shipyard in India which can repair ships upto 1,25,000 DWT
- The only yard which can repair an Air Defence Ship
- Can undertake complex and sophisticated repairs to Oil Rigs; & ships of Navy, Coast Guard & Merchant Navy
- Secured three major projects from ONGC for repairs of Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit (MODU) Sagar Vijay, Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit (MODU) Sagar Bhushan and Jack Up Rig (JUR) Sagar Kiran in 2005-06.
Has undertaken a variety of complex and sophisticated offshore Upgradation contracts
- Conducts Marine Engineering Training, Basic & Advance Fire Fighting Courses
- ISO 9001-2000 certified for
- Design and manufacture of small & medium crafts upto 900 GRT
- Construction of ships upto 1,10,000 DWT
- Repair of ships upto 1,25,000 DWT
- Training of Marine Engineers & Conducting of fire fighting courses
- Has a laboratory for destructive and non-destructive testing of material, chemical analysis, oil-fuel testing, ultrasonic thickness gauging and other activities.
- Complies with ISPS certification.
Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) is the largest green field Ship building and Ship repair yard in the country, situated adjacent to the Port of Cochin in the West Coast of India. The yard is built up in 170 acres of land, out of which 60 acres is set aside for future expansion.
Lying close to the site where Vasco Da Gama landed in 1498, it has various points of tourist attraction. Lush green landscape and picturesque backwaters with Jew Street, Willingdon Island, Annual boat races, Vasco Da Gama’s grave, Chinese fishing nets, wildlife and bird sanctuaries at Periyar and Alappuzha, tea estates near Munnar, and Ayurveda therapy centres in and around the city makes it one of the ‘to be seen’ places of the world.
Jobs in Cochin Shipyard
click above to know
more about cochin shipyard